Stan's State Fan Forum

Dear Guests,

Welcome to Stan's State Fan Forum dedicated to Stan Walker.

Feel free to visit our PORTAL page to glance at the latest news.

In order to view the rest of the forum, meet fellow Stan fans and join in on our discussions, you will need to REGISTER with us. After activation you will be able to log in to the forum with your username and password.
If you have any questions or need help browse our FAQ or CONTACT.

Thank You.
SSFF Admin
Stan's State Fan Forum

This is the place for devoted Stan Walker fans to share their love, debate and engage in the career of this exceptional young artist.

New Album
LET THE MUSIC PLAY
Out Now!
New Single
Out Now
Check out Stan Walker's
upcoming appearances near you

All Whites fans to 'Stand Up' and be counted

Simona
    State Founder
    State Founder

Post by Simona on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:18 pm

The song Stand Up, written by James Reid of the feelers and sung by Kiwi chart topper Stan Walker has been chosen as the All Whites' official anthem for the FIFA World Cup.
    Bay of Plenty-raised Walker shot to fame as winner of Australian Idol, and his first single Black Box reached number one in the New Zealand charts.
    Now New Zealand Football are backing Walker's version of the feelers' emotive classic - specifically recorded for the All Whites in early March and finished recently in Auckland's York Street Studios - to resonate with Kiwi sporting fans ready to watch the team take on the world's best in South Africa.
    "Lyrically, the song captures everything this campaign is about" NZF CEO Michael Glading said.
    "It's a great time for football in this country not least because of what the All Whites, backed by an amazing crowd, achieved in Wellington."
    "We face a much bigger challenge now but it's exactly the sort of challenge New Zealanders can stand behind."
    Walker admits he wasn't a die-hard football fan but says like many New Zealanders he has been converted by the All Whites' dramatic qualification to the June-July FIFA World Cup finals.
    "All Kiwis love to see our teams performing on the world stage and the All Whites have certainly earned my respect and support with reaching the pinnacle of their sport and giving something for the fans to be excited about."

NZ can download "Stand Up' here http://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/stand-up-single/id368203292

credit source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/world-cup/3602081/All-Whites-fans-to-Stand-Up-and-be-counted

SSFF ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ Stan Walker
    Simona
    State Founder
    State Founder

Re: All Whites fans to 'Stand Up' and be counted

Post by Simona on Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:08 am

oops
    All White prefers AC/DC to new song
    The All Whites' anthem for the upcoming World Cup has failed to win over at least one player.
    New Zealand Football has chosen the song Stand Up, written by James Reid of The Feelers and sung by Kiwi chart topper Stan Walker as its anthem. Watch the new version . (watch the video with Stan )
    All Whites defender Ben Sigmund says it's not the kind of song he'd listen to before a game.
    Sigmund says it's the first time he has heard it but it doesn't get him too excited.
    The defender says he prefers rock music before matches and listened to AC/DC before the All Whites' World Cup qualifier in Bahrain.
    He says the team will likely have some raging music going in the changing room as they like to head bang a little bit.

The All Whites' A-League players have returned to New Zealand ahead of a training camp starting in Auckland next week.
    The Feelers recently re-jigged Jesus Jones' Right Here Right Now as the marketing song for the Rugby World Cup which sparked fierce debate among fans .

Well, it is a moving song but may be Ben needs an energetic song to get motivated ?
    I think the lyrics of 'StanD Up' are motivational for the spirit... they speak to the players' souls and hearts not to the muscles.. if you know what i mean.

the NZ Football may be should have involved the players in picking the anthem song....?

what do you think?

credit source: http://tvnz.co.nz/football-news/all-white-pefers-ac-dc-new-song-3479187

Straight to Stan's Video of 'Stand Up' beeeeeautiful tones in his voice http://tvnz.co.nz/football-news/all-whites-supporters-song-stand-up-3-08-video-3480912

I was also curious about the other song listed there 'Right here right now'
    'Colonial' RWC song angers some
    Incensed over the choice of a British song for the 2011 Rugby World Cup theme, entertainer and poet Gary McCormick is starting a campaign to change the song to a New Zealand one.
    A cover of the Jesus Jones' song Right Here, Right Now would be performed by The Feelers , it was announced.
    The Christchurch band's take on the British group's hit will be heard on advertisements for World Cup tickets, the first of which go on public sale on April 27.
    McCormick says the choice of song "reeks of all that colonialism again".
    "The people of New Zealand are stumping up a couple of hundred million dollars so far and rising towards this World Cup and it's being held in New Zealand, the very least we can do is have a New Zealand song for the anthem for the World Cup...
    "It's been sort of foisted upon us. It's not ours, and the very least we're entitled to hear is our song."
    His preferred song is Loyal by Dave Dobbyn, which "would sound wonderful reverberating round the stands".
    source: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/colonial-rwc-song-angers-some-3441445

RobynO99
    STANning
    STANning

Post by RobynO99 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Did you see my Tweet that Domestic Blitz used Black Box on their show this week? I was quite stunned! Not much of it, but it was definitely Black Box.
    Hikoi
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by Hikoi on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Who or what is domestic blitz??
    kalaivani
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by kalaivani on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 pm

Stand up---- great song and right on Simo, Stan sang it beautifully. Listening to his tones--- wow, he certainly has grown as a singer--- so proud of him
    RobynO99
    STANning
    STANning

Post by RobynO99 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:13 pm

It is a Australian show where they go in a fix up/renovate deservng people's homes.

Pretty popular here. Google it!
    Nicola
    STANnified
    STANnified

Post by Nicola on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Wow - another great song from Stan -was a bit of a surprise though. Recently on TV3's (now defunct) Sunrise programme, Stan was asked about what he felt enabled him to stay successful and not just be a one-hit-wonder. His answer was working hard and doing the "smart things". I think doing this song and thus enabling him to have an even higher profile and reach a wider audience is definitely a "smart thing"!
    Way to go Stan!
    QueenTiger
    PR Webmistress
    PR Webmistress

Post by QueenTiger on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Here is another article i found.

source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10639654

All Whites adopt Feelers song for World Cup
    5:10 PM Tuesday Apr 20, 2010 Facebook
    Twitter
    Email
    Print

Stan Walker said he was inspired by the All Whites' march into the FIFA World Cup finals. Photo / Bay of Plenty TimesA Kiwi-penned rock tune will have its place as a World Cup anthem, but not in 2011.

The All Whites will use a cover version of The Feelers' Stand Up, as performed by Kiwi chart-topper Stan Walker, as their official song for June's FIFA World Cup.

"Lyrically, the song captures everything this campaign is about," New Zealand Football chief Michael Glading said in a statement released today.

He said the World Cup presented "exactly the sort of challenge New Zealanders can stand behind."

Walker, who shot to fame last year as the first Australian Idol last year, said he wasn't a die-hard football fan but the All Whites' dramatic qualification into the World Cup finals had changed his mind.

"The All Whites have certainly earned my respect and support with reaching the pinnacle of their sport," he said.

The decision by Rugby World Cup bosses in New Zealand to use a Jesus Jones cover by The Feelers as a promotional song struck the wrong chord with fans and commentators.

Stand Up, from the 2003 album Playground Battle, was a prominent choice among songs nominated by nzherald.co.nz readers asked if The Feelers and Right Here, Right Now were the right choices to promote the Rugby World Cup.

"A Kiwi classic, and quite apt" read one comment.

"It is a song that would inspire players, supporters and organisers alike to do the best that they possibly can and promote NZ," read another.

Stan Walker's version was recorded in March and is available for sale from digital retailers.

- NZ HERALD ONLINE

Last edited by QueenTiger on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PR Webmistress
    PR Webmistress

Post by QueenTiger on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 pm

OutSTANding
    OutSTANding

Post by kiwianabananarama on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:49 am

Okay...last night on the news they had a short preview and a review of the song....one radio announcer didn't like it...and that ticked me off because he was commenting really on the tempo of the song I guess and how it doesn't really want to make you get up and feel excited...I can't remember his exact words...but they weren't positive...anyway I hear there are a few who don't like the song but they are all gay...haha..jokes...naa they just wanna run and jump over each other when someone gets a goal...haha...jokes again...hahaha naa I'm behind our All Whites team and think they made an excellent choice for Stan to sing their anthem...GO THE ALL WHITES!!!

I really like 'stand up' and it's totally because I am biased and love Stan to bits haha...but also because I loved this song before Stan sung it and it's a priviledge to hear our Idol singing it....If you haven't heard the song before I posted the video on the other 'stand up' thread. I love The Feelers song....it's emotional for me...I like the lyrics..'It's a long long road to carry on, I gotta STAND UP and be counted on and it's a long long road and I got to be strong'....totally suits Stan! GO STAN!!

jumping
    kiwianabananarama
    OutSTANding
    OutSTANding

Post by kiwianabananarama on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:35 am

Hey Jules put this on you tube...and it's getting a few neg. comments...but I love love love it Stan!I'm wearing my feelers shirt haha...STANd up by Stan!!

And I can totally see myself screaming this song at an all whites game!

'It's a long long road to carry on, I gotta STAND UP and be counted on and it's a long long road and I got to be strong'....totally suits Stan! GO STAN!!
    Simona
    State Founder
    State Founder

Post by Simona on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 am

yeppo, some ppl are not happy with the song choice lol

If the soccer fans don't like it they won't sing it at the stadium and stuff.. as you do with a soccer anthem.
    that might look not good but just on the players I was thinking today that you don't need a song to motivate you when you play sport, I mean, we need to find the strength and determination inside ourselves... and trying not to get upset about asong if we don't like it lol

However, and I repeat myself here sorry and sorry if someone will get offended by my words, from a soccer fan (that i have been all my life but not as passionate as I used to be now) and soccer player point of view the team anthem is very important ... as soccer is very important...it is our house, church, bible call it what you like... I dunno if in NZ soccer is seen this way... someone may be can help clarify that but if it is.. you got to keep the fans and players happy or drama will start as it did on this appareantly insignificant "musical matter"

About Stan interepretation and the song per se I made my comments on the 'Stan Up' music topic.

KrystaBel
    OutSTANding
    OutSTANding

Post by KrystaBel on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:28 am

Stan does a great job of this song - completely! I agree Simo, the Soccer Anthem is VERY important to the fans..it spurs the players on.. it heightens excitement when fans sing it at the matches...an inspiring catchy ANTHEM is a must...

If this song is not the choice of the fans..that could be a problem support/atmosphere-wise, so if a change of song is made, I would imagine Stan would be called up for that too. Like I said, Standup is sung beautifully by Stan and if this remains the Anthem...then Good luck the All Whites..and GO STan flower

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:38 am